PORK AND PINEAPPLE KEBABS
1 ½ pound pork tenderloin 1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons brown sugar 20 cubes fresh pineapple
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce 20 1-inch pieces red bell pepper (2
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons grated fresh onion peppers)
2 small onions, quartered
1 tablespoon lemon juice Nonstick cooking spray
Dash of black pepper
1. Trim fat from pork. Cut pork into 12 1-inch cubes.
2. Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, onion, lemon juice, black pepper and bay leaf in a bowl. Set aside 3 Tbsp. marinade. Add the pork to the remaining marinade. Refrigerate to marinate1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove pork from bowl and reserve marinade. Discard bay leaf.
4. Thread 5 pork cubes, 5 pineapple cubes, 5 pepper pieces, and 2 onion quarters alternately onto each of 4 skewers.
5. Lightly spray grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Turn grill on to heat. Grill kebabs 14 minutes or until done, turning and basting with reserved marinade.
Yield: 4 servings
1 serving contains: 293 calories, 9 gm fat, 19 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fiber, 323 mg sodium
1 serving can be counted as 1 carbohydrate choice and 4 ounces lean meat
GRILLED HALIBUT AND FRESH MANGO SALSA
(You could really use any fish that you wanted to. It works very will with Mahi Mahi)
2 cups diced seeded plum tomatoes 1 teaspoon sugar
1 ½ cups peeled ripe mango 2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup diced onion ½ tsp. salt, divided (optional)
¼ cup fresh cilantro 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
2 Tbsp. lime juice 1 ½ pounds halibut fillets
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar 1 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Combine first 8 ingredients. Stir in ¼ tsp. salt (optional) and ½ tsp. black pepper.
2. Brush fish with oil; sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt (optional) and ½ tsp. black pepper.
3. Heat grill.
4. Grill fish 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
5. Serve mango salsa over fish.
Yield: 6 servings of4 ounces fish and 1/2 cup salsa
1 serving contains: 197 calories, 5 gm fat, 13 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fiber, 36 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium (91 mg sodium if you leave out the salt)
Grilled Herbed Chicken Sandwiches
¾ cup lemon juice 6 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
½ cup olive oil 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon salt (optional) 6 wheat sandwich rolls (toast if desired)
1 teaspoon black pepper 12 slices of red onion
½ teaspoon dried thyme 1 ½ cups romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn
½ teaspoon dried basil
1. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and basil. Pour into a reseal able plastic bag. Add the chicken, seal the bag and marinate it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Brush or spray grill rack with oil. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Remove chicken from the bag, discarding the marinade. Grill chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from the grill.
4. Spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on each side of every roll. Place the chicken on the bottom half of each roll. Top the chicken with slices of red onion and pieces of lettuce. Cover with the top half of each roll. Serve.
Asparagus, Red Pepper and Potato Salad
The Salad: The Dressing:
1 lb. red potatoes 5 Tbsp. Creole or spicy brown mustard
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1” pieces 6 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 red pepper, sliced 1 ½ Tbsp. brown sugar
½ cup red onion, cut into slices ¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
6 Tbsp. olive oil
Tabasco sauce to taste
1. Scrub the potatoes and cook in boiling water (covered) until tender. Drain potatoes and allow them to cool slightly. Cut the potatoes into 1” cubes and put into a bowl.
2. Cook the asparagus in a shallow pan of water until tender-crisp. Drain the asparagus and let it cool. Add to the potatoes.
3. Add the pepper and onion to the potato mixture.
4. Mix the mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil and stir with a whisk to make a creamy dressing. Add a couple of dashes of Tabasco to spice it up to your taste.
5. Pour the dressing onto the potato mixture and toss.
Yield: 6-8 servings