“As far as how the feather got into the side of the neck, our doctor says we’ll probably never really know,” he said. “But her best guess is that she either inhaled it or tried swallowing it and it got lodged in the throat somewhere, and the body, just being crazy, just started to reject it and force it out the side of her neck.”
The parents now remember Mya crying and puling at the area under her left ear over the past few weeks, but they thought she might be getting an ear infection or teething.
The little girl is now “almost 100 percent recovered,” according to Whittington. Doctors have checked her out and determined that she will not need surgery. They say her body will heal on its own.
The Whittingtons say they are grateful for Mya’s health and have been shocked that the story has gone global.
“We’ve been extremely, extremely surprised,” Aaron Whittington said. “We’ve gotten stories in Kenya, India, the U.K. It’s really crazy.”