Rochester, N.Y.- Monroe Community College President Anne Kress was presented with the Rochester Business Alliance Women’s Council’s ATHENA Award during a ceremony Thursday.
She was selected from 15 finalists based on her significant professional achievements, community service endeavors, and leadership in the advancement of other professional women.
As Monroe Community College’s fifth president, Kress leads a nationally recognized, multi-campus college that enrolls more than 37,000 students each year.
MCC Board of Trustees Chair Kenneth Goode nominated Kress for the award. He said, “Dr. Kress has been instrumental in securing more than $32 million in grants that benefit the greater Rochester community. Under her leadership, MCC also established the Division of Economic Development and Innovative Workforce Services, which is responsible for developing innovative, entrepreneurial and strategic initiatives designed to proactively respond to economic development and training needs.”
Kress is originally from Milwaukee. She earned a doctoral degree in higher education administration, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in English, and a bachelor’s degree with honors in finance, all from the University of Florida.
Her career spans more than 20 years as an administrator and educator in higher education.
The ATHENA Award is given annually by the Women’s Council to a local professional woman who has demonstrated significant achievements in business, community service, and the professional advancement of women.
Among the finalists this year was 13WHAM's Ginny Ryan.
Below is the complete list of the 2013 finalists:
- Rachel Baker August, executive director, Seneca Park Zoo Society
- Dianne Cooney Miner, Ph.D., RN, CNS, dean, Wegmans School of Nursing, St. John Fisher College
- Jane Glazer, founder & president, QCI Direct
- Roberta Goheen, president & CEO, Synthesis Management Group
- Anne M. Kress, Ph.D., president, Monroe Community College
- Dolores Kruchten, corporate vice president & president, document imaging, Eastman Kodak Company
- Elizabeth Lattimore, chief administrative officer, Golisano Children’s Hospital at the University of Rochester Medical Center
- Debra A. Martin, assistant attorney general in charge, Rochester Regional Office, NYS Office of the Attorney General
- Suzanne Nasipak-Chapman, market executive, First Niagara Bank
- Kathy Palokoff, CEO, CUSTOMERicity
- Kimberly Puglia, director, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Susan A. Roberts, executive vice president & chief compliance officer, Bausch & Lomb
- Ginny Ryan, news anchor & reporter, 13WHAM-TV
- Christine Wagner, SSJ, executive director, St. Joseph’s Neighborhood Center
- Laurie Zaucha, vice president, human resources & organizational development, Paychex, Inc.