Rochester, N.Y. - The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra's Board of Directors and its Musicians' Negotiating Committee announced Monday that they reached a new four-year collective bargaining agreement.
Specifics of the agreement were not released.
"The RPO is blessed with an artistically excellent group of musicians; the Board of Directors is exceedingly pleased that those musicians have once again agreed to continue collaborating with us on producing consistently thrilling performances for our audiences," said Board Chair, Elizabeth Rice. "It is the RPO musicians who make us what we are."
"The contract negotiations were arduous and methodical," says Musicians' Negotiating Committee Co-Chair Wesley Nance, "but ultimately the contract was ratified by more than a 75% margin. The agreement includes painful concessions in the first two years, with restorations in years three and four. It recognizes the tough financial challenges of the organization, while trying to meet the needs of the musicians. It is our hope that we can work together to continue to make the RPO successful and avoid the problems that have befallen other orchestras around the country."
The RPO is ahead of the pace of last year's annual campaign. The RPO cites an interest in recent concerts have helped raise $1.6 million in its current fiscal year.