Chili, N.Y. — Barbara Langdon had never been on Chili’s Golden Road until Thursday morning. The Postal Service worker noticed smoke coming from 107 Golden Road.
“I saw black smoke coming out of the chimney, it just didn’t seem right,” Explained Langdon. “Within seconds it just blew through the porch.”
Langdon heard an elderly woman screaming and approached her. Her grandson was trapped along with two others in the house.
Langdon screamed for the child, but says it was no use so she tried to help the elderly woman.
“I pulled the curtains out of the window and put them on the ground and dragged her out through the window and then I took my coat off and wrapped her up in it because it was so cold,” said Langdon.
Langdon said she is in need of two knee replacements, but she felt nothing during the rescue.
“I never thought about it,” said Langdon. “It wasn’t something you think about. You just do.”
Firefighters arrived a short time later and rescued the remaining adult and two children.
They were transported to Strong Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.
Three firefighters were also hurt.