Castile, N.Y. - Up to 20 departments fought a major fire on North Main Street early Tuesday morning.
The historic building, built in 1882, consisted of town and village offices, Lorraine's Place restaurant and an apartment.
The challenge was extreme because the fire hydrants were shut off and covered, making no water immediately available--due to construction on water mains.
Thousands of gallons of water were hauled in by porta-tanks from adjacent fire departments.
The fire started before 3 a.m.
No word yet what sparked the blaze.