Macedon, N.Y. - Rhonda Lawton was one of the 17 people forced to run out of her apartment on West Street after it caught fire early Saturday morning. Lawton says she was about to go to bed shortly before 6 am when she heard a snow plow driver from the parking lot yelling.
“He's like, 'Get out of your house,' He's like, It's on fire,'” Lawton said.
Macedon Fire Chief Tim Wilcox tells 13WHAM News the fire at 2 West Main St. in Building 3 started after cigarette buts were left on a porch on the second floor.
“I froze, and thank God my brother Todd had my four year old,” Lawton said.
Everyone inside the building was able to escape. Lawton was also able to save her pets.
Ray Bryant was at work; he came home to ashes and debris.
“Very hard, it's the holiday time. Christmas is a couple days away,” Bryant said.
Bryant's apartment was on the first floor, below the origin of the fire. He was able to recover all of his property which wasn't badly damaged.
“I was surprised, even though the fire was above, nothing was too wet. I had a few wet t-shirts, but my TV, my couch, my bedroom was ok,” Bryant said.
But Bryant says that's not important. He says the fire could have taken away something much more valuable.
“When you think about it, a lot of time you're just happy to have your life,” Bryant said. “Thank God nobody was hurt or lost a life but a lot of people are going to have to start over.”
Fire officials say despite the weather, they were able to put out the fire in a half hour.
The Red Cross provided food and clothing.
All of those displaced are staying with family and friends.