Livonia, N.Y.- It wasn't flames that damaged 14 classrooms inside the Livonia Elementary School but rather smoke and water as crews put out the fire.
An entire wing of the building will have to be re-built. Superintendent Scott Bischoping says the fire started accidentally, when a generator being used by contractors for roof repair, malfunctioned.
Bischoping says he doesn't fault the contractor and praises their quick response.
Damage to the building is extensive and clean-up has already begun.
Crews wearing protective suits used huge wet vacs to soak up the water and debris. Since the material is considered hazardous, it is stored in tanks and then hauled away.
No children were inside the school when the fire started. The summer recreation program went on a field trip to Seabreeze Thursday.
Parents like Julie Shaffer say it was a blessing kids were not in the school. Shaffer was devastated when she saw the flames. She worried the school would burn to the ground. "We were lucky" Shaffer told us.
Her children Brooke and Patrick attend the summer program. It was moved to the middle school. Shaffer says it was a smooth transition for students.
"I have five kids, two of mine and three in daycare, they got them in and it went great."
Superintendent Bischoping says the repair work will not delay the start of school in the fall. If the work isn't finished, students will be moved to other buildings.
"We most certainly want to make sure when this gets put together it is safe, we're not going to rush and do it where it might not be safe. We want it done the right way and will take however much time that takes."