New York, N.Y. -- While speaking at an awards conference in New York City this week, Xerox CEO Ursula Burns shared five pieces of advice for ambitious women.
The Wall Street Journal summarized the advice:
1. "Find a good (older) husband" -- Burns said her husband, who is 20 years older, "had already gone through this 'growing up' stuff" and upon retirement could watch their children as she traveled.
2. "Redefine work-life balance" -- Burns calls it a "fool's journey" to achieve professional and personal balance.
3. "Be selfish sometimes" -- She said "think about your health, physically and mentally" by "checking out" occasionally.
4. "Don't take guilt trips" -- As relates to kids, Burns said "Kids are pretty resilient. You don't have to be at every volleyball game. We can't guilt ourselves."
5. "Don't take life too seriously" -- Burns told the conference to "continually go back to the basic stuff. Be prudent. Enjoy it."