WHAM13 - Search Results
NYS DOT seeking public input on Brighton road work
Brighton, N.Y. - The New York State Department of Transportation will hold a public information meeting July 31 about plans to improve highway safety on Monroe Avenue between Westfall/Allens Creek Roads and Clover Street.
The DOT is looking to inform the public and get feedback on the proposed project.
The meeting will be open to the public and will be held at 7 p.m. the Brighton Town Hall on Elmwood Avenue.
A Q&A and commenting session will begin before the meeting at 5 p.m.
The proposed project calls to address safety concerns on Monroe Avenue west of Clover Street with the following measures:
· Constructing a westbound right turn only lane for westbound traffic approaching the I-590 northbound on-ramp;
· Eliminate the eastbound right lane on Monroe Avenue serving traffic from the I-590 southbound off ramp towards Clover Street. This would leave two through lanes for eastbound traffic. Retain the eastbound, dedicated right turn lane closer to the Clover Street intersection;
· Reconfigure the intersection of Monroe Avenue and the I-590 northbound off ramps to tie into upgraded Monroe Avenue to serve exiting traffic;
· Reconfigure the intersection of Monroe Avenue and the I-590 southbound on/off ramps west of the I-590 bridges with a new traffic signal. Introduce a new left turn access from Monroe Avenue westbound to I-590 southbound to ease congestion;
· Provide sidewalk on south side of the roadway;
· Provide sidewalk on the north side of the roadway under a future contract;
· Provide 5' wide bike lane or improved shared use lanes where possible;
The project will also include resurfacing of the existing pavement, new curb; upgrading drainage and signals, and installing new landscaping, signs, and pavement markings.
Construction for the $1.6 million federally funded project is scheduled to begin in spring of 2014.