Most Shared

WHAM13 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Mobile home fire raises questions of safety

Penfield, N.Y. Three people are dead after a fire broke out in a mobile home early Monday morning, and its raising questions about old-style mobile homes and safety.

In this particular mobile home fire, there were many people in such a small space, making it difficult to get everyone out.

Authorities said the people trapped inside this intense fire had already suffered the effects of smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Penfield Fire Chief said that fires in these older style homes spread five times as quickly as fires in other structures.

"They are all metal or aluminum-sided with a lot of combustibles inside and once the fire starts there's not a lot of place for that heat to go. It continues to build and build, said Chief Chris Ebmeyer.

This was the third fire in the past year at the mobile home park.

The fire chief said people who live in older mobile homes should have smoke detectors in each bedroom and main living area.

We do not know if there were working smoke detectors here.

 
Advertise with us!

Washington Times