WHAM13 - Search Results
Penfield fatal fire cause determined
Penfield, N.Y. -- The Monroe County Fire Bureau said an electrical issue caused a January fire that killed a 9-year-old boy and two others at a mobile home in Penfield.
The report showed either an overloaded circuit or improper work that had been done on the house caused the problem.
Tyler Doohan, 9, died in the Jan. 20 fire after going back in to help rescue two family members who also died. Six people escaped, though one of them later died as well.
According to Penfield Fire Chief Chris Ebmeyer, one survivor said the bases of cordless phones that were plugged into the outlet were smoking.
A metal threshold was put down in one area of the house, and the screws used to hold down the metal piece were also in close contact to phone cables.
Ebermayer said the circuit breaker for that outlet had tripped the night of the fire.
A space heater that had been initially blamed for the fire was not the cause.